Skip to main content

3. How to apply

Flooding related emergency payments

You should call your local authority to make sure that they have told us that your property has been flooded and is eligible to receive a payment.

Use this service to:

  • apply for an Emergency Assistance Payment (including February flood payments)
  • apply for an Individual Assistance Payment

If you are unable to apply online, you can apply by phone or post. Details are shown at the bottom of the page.

To apply for the Discretionary Assistance Fund you will need:

  • your national insurance number
  • your full name
  • your date or birth
  • your contact telephone numbers including a working mobile number
  • full names, dates of birth and national insurance numbers for everyone living in your household
  • your current full address and postcode
  • your address history
  • your prison address (if recently released)
  • if applicable your tenancy start date and full details of the property you are moving to
  • details of benefits you receive and how much you get
  • details of any organisations helping you
  • details of household income and expenses
  • details of your savings
  • what you need from DAF
  • details of why you need help and any supporting information (for example a police crime reference number if you are victim of a crime)

An approved partner organisation can help you complete your application or apply on your behalf. They include:

  • local authorities
  • housing associations
  • advice and guidance organisations
  • charities
  • prison services
  • health services

We advise that you contact an Approved Partner organisation if you want to apply for a grant for white goods or household furniture.  If you are unsure who can help you, contact your local authority or citizen’s advice.

Applications can also be made by post (download the form).

Our telephone lines are often busy and telephone applications take up to 20 minutes to complete and we are open between 9.30am and 4.00pm Monday to Friday on 0800 8595924 (free from a landline) or 033 0101 5000 (local rate).

Share this page