2. Full-time undergraduates

From September 2018, eligible first time undergraduates will get financial support for living costs while studying. The support will take the form of a combination of grants and loans (depending on eligibility), and for most will be equivalent to the National Living Wage. Students must be under 60 years old on the first day of the first academic year of their course to access an undergraduate maintenance loan.

Full-time undergraduates could be eligible for up to £11,530 a year towards their living costs if they live away from home and study in London and £9,225 per year in the rest of the UK.

Every eligible student will receive a grant of at least £1,000 regardless of household income. Students from homes with lower household income may be eligible for a grant of up to £10,124 if studying in London or up to £8,100 if studying in the rest of the UK. This grant does not have to be paid back.

Living away from home : Outside London
Household income Grant Loan Total
£18,370 £8,100 £1,125 £9,225
£25,000 £6,947 £2,278 £9,225
£35,000 £5,208 £4,017 £9,225
£45,000 £3,469 £5,756 £9,225
£59,200 or over £1,000 £8,225 £9,225


Living away from home : In London
Household income Grant Loan Total
£18,370 £10,124 £1,406 £11,530
£25,000 £8,643 £2,887 £11,530
£35,000 £6,408 £5,122 £11,530
£45,000 £4,174 £7,356 £11,530
£59,200 or over £1,000 £10,530 £11,530
Living at home
Household income Grant Loan Total
£18,370 £6,885 £955 £7,840
£25,000 £5,930 £1,910 £7,840
£35,000 £4,488 £3,352 £7,840
£45,000 £3,047 £4,793 £7,840
£59,200 or over £1,000 £6,840 £7,840

Under the new support package, students will be eligible for loans to cover tuition fees. Most students won’t have to pay anything upfront for their course.

Students who began their course before August 2018 will continue to receive the student support package they currently get.

There are also extra grants available to help support students through their studies. These include Parents’ Learning Allowance, Childcare Grant, Adult Dependants' Grant and Disabled Students' Allowances. Availability will depend on the personal circumstances of the student. Details of this extra support can be found on the Student Finance Wales website.