Skip to main content

5. Students from the European Union

If you’re a European Union (EU) national living in Wales, and you’ve lived in the UK for less than 3 years prior to the first day of the first year of your course, you (and your family members) can normally apply for financial help towards the costs of tuition fees whilst studying in Wales. If you’ve lived in the UK for 3 or more years prior to the first day of the first year of your course, then you (and your family members) may also be eligible to apply for grants and loans to help with living costs, which is on top of the financial help towards the costs of your tuition fees.

If you’re a migrant worker or the child of a Turkish worker you could also qualify for help with tuition fees and additional support. Family members of migrant workers from European Economic Areas (EEA) or Switzerland may also qualify for additional help.

Before you receive any funding for your higher education course at university or college you’ll need to make sure that your course qualifies.

Your course must lead to a qualification in one of the following:

  • First Degree e.g. Bachelor of Arts, Science or Education (BA, BSc or BEd)
  • Foundation Degree
  • Certificate of Higher Education
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Integrated Masters
  • Initial Teacher Education (ITE).

Your course must take place at one of the following:

  • a UK university
  • a college that receives government funding in the UK
  • a specified private institution in the UK (ask your university or college if the course has been specifically designated by the Welsh Government)
  • a group of schools taking part in a School-Centered Initial Teaching Training (SCITT) scheme in the UK

If you want to speak to someone about eligibility for student finance and what help you can get, contact Student Finance Wales.

Eligible students could get a tuition fee loan to help pay for the tuition fees charged by their university or college.

Tuition fee loans
  Maximum you can be charged for a full-time course Tuition Fee Loan available
Studying at a regulated university or college in Wales £9,000 £9,000
Studying at a private university or college in Wales on a course designated by the Welsh Government No restrictions £6,165

Part-time EU students could receive similar support on a pro-rata basis. 

The Tuition Fee Loan isn’t income assessed, which means that your entitlement won’t be calculated based on your household income. You should apply through Student Finance Wales 9 months before your course starts.

Tuition fees are paid directly to your university or college in three installments. You’ll be charged interest on your Tuition Fee Loan from the first day the money is paid to your university or college until the loan is repaid in full or cancelled. You can find out what interest you’ll be charged by visiting Repaying your student loan on GOV.UK.

If you withdraw from university or college after attending on the first day of term, you may be liable to pay some of your fees. If you need to discuss this further, you can contact your university or college.

There are also bursaries and scholarships available to help support you through your studies. Depending on your personal circumstances you may be able to get extra help through educational grants and charitable trusts.

Further information

If you’re an EU student please use the contact details below to receive further information.

Student Finance Services

Student Loans Company
PO Box 89
County Durham
United Kingdom

Telephone: +44 (0)141 243 3570 (Monday to Friday, 9:00 to 17:30)

All figures are subject to regulations being made.

Share this page