Skip to main content

In this section

How will transport be affected

How will transport be affected

The impacts of the end of the transition period will have a significant impact on every region and nation of the UK. It could cause severe disruption to the transport network and connected services within Wales.

We are taking all proportionate steps to preserve the integrity of our transport system and ensure the continued viability and success of our transportation system.


Please follow Travel advice: coronavirus (COVID-19) on GOV.UK

Information for people travelling to the UK from Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, and information for people passing through the UK on the way to Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man.

Travelling between the UK and Ireland, Isle of Man, Guernsey or Jersey on GOV.UK


Drivers from the UK need to be aware that there will be changes if they are travelling to the European Union from 1 January 2021.

Travellers may need to:

  • check their passport
  • get travel insurance that covers their healthcare
  • check they have the right driving documents
  • organise pet travel - contact their vet at least 4 months before they go

Motor insurance

EU law allows any vehicles insured in one member state to be driven in any other. However, if you are intending to use your own car in the EU after the end of the transition period, you will need to have a valid ’green card’ and GB sticker. You may also need an International Driving Permit in some countries.

Further information

Driving abroad on GOV.UK
International driving permits for UK drivers on GOV.UK
Trailer registration on GOV.UK

Travelling with your pet

If you want to take your pet abroad, additional health requirements and documentation will be needed after the end of the transition period. These preparations will need to be discussed with your vet at least four months before you travel.

Pet travel to Europe from 1 January 2021 on GOV.UK


If you are planning to travel to Holyhead please be aware there will be a risk of disruption along the A55 near Holyhead port from the 28th December.

Please check the Traffic Wales website for traffic updates before you travel.

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions.


New infrastructure is required to deliver checks on certain types of goods arriving from the Republic of Ireland.


Welsh Ministers announced the decision to locate the Border Control post serving Holyhead port on 12 March 2021: Written Statement: Announcement of Border Control Post Site Locations.

The selected location is Plot 9 Parc Cybi, Holyhead. The site is owned by Welsh Government. 
Planning permission is being sought via a Statutory Development Order (SDO) under section 59(3) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. Periods of public and technical stakeholder consultation have now closed and the Department for Rural Affairs is preparing to submit the full planning application to Welsh Ministers for determination. This is expected in August with a decision due in autumn.

For further information and updates please visit: Inland Border Facilities


Some goods originating from the EU will be required to enter GB via a Border Control Post (BCP).

The Welsh Government is in the process of identifying a suitable site to accommodate a BCP for Pembrokeshire ports.

The checks on these goods are primarily aimed at safeguarding the UK’s bio-security, for example from plant or animal diseases. These goods include:

  • plants
  • products of animal origin (POAO)
  • live animals and
  • high risk food and feed not of animal origin

A proportion of these goods will be checked, which varies depending on the commodity. There will be a short turnaround time to carry out these inspections, and drivers will be on their way as soon as the inspection is complete.

Similar facilities are being developed around the UK, often at the ports themselves. In the cases of Fishguard and Pembroke Dock, there is insufficient space at to provide the necessary BCP inspection infrastructure.

Without a BCP, both Pembrokeshire ports would legally be unable to import these types of goods, damaging the viability of the ports and the value they bring to the region. Establishing a BCP is of national and local significance to the region, Wales and the United Kingdom.

As a result, we have examined over fifty sites that could serve these two ports. The site should be located to minimise any detour from the primary route, and ideally so it is equivalent for both ports. No decisions have been made on the location of the BCP and we will be consulting with a wide range of stakeholders before any decisions are taken. We will also publish information on progress online.


Welsh Government has been working with port operators, ferry operators, local authorities, UK government and other stakeholders over recent months to mitigate and minimise disruption to the ports and to local communities.

Ferry Passengers

If you are a passenger you won’t be impacted by new customs arrangements. However, please be aware that that there may be delays with some ferry crossings.

Passenger travel to the EU by air, rail or sea from 1 January 2021 on GOV.UK

Moving goods between the UK and the EU

If you are planning a freight journey, please ensure that you have received all the necessary paperwork from your client, that you have completed any declarations required and please give your ferry company all the information that they require before you get to the port.

Hauliers will be required to go through customs checks when exporting goods to the EU from the UK. It is the responsibility of traders to apply and obtain the right paperwork for the goods hauliers are carrying. The UK government has provided hauliers with a handbook which sets out how they can prepare themselves, their vehicles and their goods so that they can continue to travel freely.

Hauliers may also be required to go to an Inland border facility, which are UK Government sites operational from 1 January 2021, where customs and document checks can take place away from port locations.

Please visit the following links and make sure you have completed all the necessary steps to transport goods between Great Britain and the EU:

Carry out international road haulage (including COVID test requirements) on GOV.UK
Transport goods out of the UK by road: step by step on GOV.UK
For traffic management information around the ports, please visit Traffic Wales.

Attending an Inland Border Facility on GOV.UK
UK government FAQs

Moving goods to Ireland through Welsh Ports

If you are moving goods to Ireland, please note this important update from the Irish Revenue on temporary facilitation of Entry Summary Declaration (ENS) for the Pre-boarding notification system.

RoRo movements - Temporary facilitation for ENS

Goods moving from Welsh ports into Ireland will required a Pre-Boarding Notification (PBN) Identification Number to from 1 January 2021. Without a valid number, hauliers will be turned away from the port.

How to create a pre-boarding notification (PBN)

The Irish Revenue has developed the Customs Roll-On Roll-Off Service (RoRo Service) which will be available from 1 January 2021. The Customs RoRo Service will provide a range of services to facilitate the movement and control of goods and vehicles when moved by scheduled ferry between Ireland and Great Britain.

The services available on the RoRo System will consist of 3 complementary functions:

  • Pre-Boarding Notification (PBN)
  • Customs Channel Look-up
  • Customs Check-in

More information is available on the Irish Revenue website:

Documents hauliers need when travelling to Irish ports (customs Roll-on-Roll off service) on
Helpline for transporting goods to Ireland on
Customs guidance leaflets Dublin on
Customs guidance leaflets Rosslare on

Port of Holyhead

Holyhead port is the key entry and exit point for goods transported between the UK and Ireland. It is the second busiest roll-on roll-off ferry port in the UK and provides a vital link in the supply chain for businesses across Wales, the UK and Ireland.

New customs arrangements require freight customers bound for Ireland to link customs information to their booking. If they arrive without the correct documentation they won’t be able to enter the port.

As part of the contingency plans to minimise disruption at the Port of Holyhead at the end of EU Transition, a temporary contraflow was put in place on the A55. This was to help manage any HGVs turned away from the port because they did not have the correct paperwork. A stacking site is now available at Parc Cybi, and the temporary contraflow will therefore be removed completely by the end of February.

The use of Parc Cybi ensures that HGVs can be safely stacked and allow local people and businesses to continue their daily lives with as little inconvenience as possible. It will also ensure lorry drivers have a safe and secure place with access to welfare facilities to prepare their documents and become port ready.

HGV drivers should make sure they have provided their ferry operator with the required customs information before arriving at the port. They should head straight to check-in where, if they have done everything required, they will be able to enter the port and board their ferry as normal. If not, they will be asked to turn around and leave the port. They should head to junction 4 of the A55, where they will be able to join the westbound carriageway and make arrangements to become ‘port ready’

Please check the Traffic Wales website for traffic updates before you travel.

For Traffic Management Plans please read:

Frequently Asked Questions on Traffic Wales
Moving goods through the Port of Holyhead with an ATA Carnet on GOV.UK

Information Site for hauliers: Roadking, Holyhead

The UK government’s Department of Transport has opened an advice site for hauliers and drivers of heavy goods vehicles. Those transporting goods to Dublin can visit the site located at Roadking Services in Holyhead in-person to obtain advice and to check their documentation is correct. However, please note that these services will not be able to ensure your PBN number is correct, and you should ensure this is the case via the Irish Revenue’s online system. 

Ports of Fishguard and Pembroke Dock

Pembrokeshire County Council has been co-ordinating and arranging the provision of lorry parking space for the freight vehicles which will arrive at the Fishguard and Pembroke Dock ports without the required documentation from the 1st January.

The council is providing space for heavy goods vehicles to park away from the ports while they obtain the correct paperwork in order for them to continue their onward journeys on Irish Ferries and Stena Line to Rosslare.  

To ensure this process is carried out safely away from the ports, space for lorry parking will be provided at:

  • Fishguard: The Hall Brothers Transport Ltd, Wern Road, Goodwick;
  • Bridge Innovation Centre, Overflow Car Park

Irish Revenue Customs advice for moving goods to Rosslare Europort from the Ports of Fishguard and Pembroke

Information Centre for hauliers: Pont Abraham Services

The Information and advice site offers hauliers one-to-one training with trained staff about the new customs procedures changes and to test whether they have completed relevant paperwork to proceed to the ports.

Additional Information

Milford Haven Port Authority
UK government Transition Information on GOV.UK
Moving goods to and from the EU through roll on roll off ports or the Channel Tunnel on GOV.UK

Air services

If you are planning to fly to a European destination please seek the latest travel guidance and advice from the UK government, destination country and airline before you travel to ensure that you are prepared.

Cardiff Airport is working with its partner organisations including airlines and the UK Border Force to understand the impact of these changes to its customers and the business.

The airport’s flying programme for January is currently very limited and us subject to change based on the spread of COVID-19.

Please visit:

Visit Europe from 1 January 2021 on GOV.UK
Transition on GOV.UK

For the latest advice regarding the latest travel advice Coronavirus


EU transition portal on Business Wales
Exporting and doing business abroad on GOV.UK - how to transport goods commercially if you’re driving from the UK to or through Europe.

Next: data protection >