Skip to main content

Guidance on when and how to pay Land Transaction Tax.

First published:
23 March 2018
Last updated:

Our online services are largely unaffected by coronavirus (COVID-19). We’ll continue to review and share updates. 

We’ve had to adapt some of our services and the way we operate. See full details at our service update in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

We appreciate your understanding and are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Paying Land Transaction Tax

Once a tax return has been submitted, the taxpayer or their representative will need to pay any tax due.

You can pay using electronic payments (BACS/CHAPS payments and Faster Payments) and cheques. The payment needs to exactly match the amount that is shown on the tax return. You can only pay for one transaction per payment.

Making a payment if you submitted a return online

For every tax return that is submitted online, a unique transaction reference number (UTRN) will be produced immediately in your online account. You need to use this UTRN when you make a payment. All the information you need to make the payment is included in the payment slip you can download when you submit your return.

You need to complete your payment within 30 days from the day after the effective date of transaction, which is typically the date of purchase.

It is your responsibility to ensure that full payment reaches the WRA no later than the payment due date. Any late payments may be subject to interest charges and penalties.

Further guidance on interest and penalty charges.

Making a payment if you have submitted a paper return

If you submit a paper return you will not be given a UTRN immediately, but this will be sent to you once your return has been processed by the WRA. To make sure your tax is paid on time you should use the following reference number:

“Postcode of lead buyer \ Surname or organisation name of lead buyer” 

For example - CF379EH \ Bloggs

Please quote this payment reference number for your online payment or on the back of your cheque.

Please follow the process for a cheque payment as outlined below.

BACS/CHAPS payments

For BACS/CHAPS payments and Faster Payments, quote the UTRN in the Payment Reference section.

Please enter the 12 digit reference number first, with no gaps. 

If you would like to add an additional reference for your internal processes please list this after the reference number. If you don’t do this the WRA will not be able to match the payment to your transaction.

If you submitted a paper return you need to quote the reference above. A separate payment must be made for each tax return.

If you are paying by BACS, the WRA must receive it 4 working days before the payment due date in order to process the payment in time.

Payments should be made to the WRA bank account below:

Account name: Welsh Revenue Authority Tax
Sort code: 60-70-80
Account number: 10028838
Bank: Royal Bank of Scotland
Address: Government Banking CST Parklands
De Havilland Way

Overseas Payments 

You should use these details below to pay from an overseas account:

Account Number IBAN = GB46NWBK60708010028838
Bank Identifier Code (BIC) = NWBKGB2L

Payments by cheque

Cheques need to be made out to the Welsh Revenue Authority with the UTRN or payment reference number (if your filing by paper) on the reverse of the cheque.

If you are paying by cheque, the WRA must receive it 10 working days before the payment due date in order to process the cheque in time. The account from which the cheque is payable must also have sufficient funds at the time of receipt by the WRA. Failing to do so may mean the payment is subject to interest charges and possibly penalties for late payment.

Cheques should be posted to:

Welsh Revenue Authority
PO Box 110
CF37 9EH

Queries about payments

If you have any queries about payment, please contact us.

Share this page