How to create and edit the 'guide' content type on GOV.WALES.
When to use
Before you create or edit content, you need to read and understand:
You should also have a version of the content ready for publication.
- answering a specific, task-oriented user need
- guidance the government has a duty to provide, not general advice
- providing information that a user needs in order to understand and contextualise future tasks
Do not use:
- for giving general advice
- for explaining government policy
- as a last resort for content that doesn’t fit into other format types
- for publications
How to create
Creating a new guide
- Log in to GOV.WALES and LLYW.CYMRU.
- Select the Workbench view in GOV.WALES (you must start on the English site).
- Select Create content.
- Select Guide.
- Complete the Title field.
- Complete the Teaser field, this is not displayed on the page but may be displayed alongside a link to the page (for example search results).
- Select Add Content and paste the page content into the Content field.
- Tag to relevant Topics.
- If content is from or about an organisation complete EXTERNAL ORGANISATIONS.
- Add up to around 5 INTERNAL LINKS (NODE) to content directly related to the users needs being met by the guide.
- Do not usually complete INTERNAL LINKS (TERMS). Either the guide is relevant to a topic therefore tagged to it or linked to pages meeting specific user needs.
- To link to another website select Add External Link.
- Add a Review Date.
- Select Save and Create New Draft.
- To add the Welsh content, select TRANSLATE.
- Select Add from row labelled Welsh.
- Update fields with Welsh language content.
- To save changes without making them public select Save and Create New Draft. (this translation). To save and make changes public select Save and publish (this translation).
- Publish the Welsh and the English and check both languages, for example layout is correct and links work.
Editing an existing guide
- Find the existing guide either by browsing the public site or select Workbench then All recent content. You must do this on GOV.WALES as the English content must be edited first.
- Open the guide.
- Select EDIT DRAFT or NEW DRAFT.
- Edit the guide.
- Complete Revision log message (all languages) with brief summary of change(s).
- To save changes without making them public select Save and Create New Draft (this translation). To save and make changes public select Save and publish (this translation).
- Make the same changes to the Welsh version of the guide.
Lists which components are available and how to use them if they are allowed.
You must use the content paragraph for the majority of the page content.
Do not use the accordion paragraph on guides.
Paragraphs: related links
Do not use the related links paragraph on guides.
Paragraphs: call out message
You may only use the following call out message on guides:
Paragraphs: contact details
Follow the contact details definition to add contact information, for example a telephone number.
Follow the launcher definition to use this only as part of a start page to launch a service.
Paragraphs: local authority lookup
To create a new local authority lookup contact the Corporate Digital Team.
To create a new webform contact the Corporate Digital Team.
Internal links (node)
Use to link to around 5 pages directly related to the user needs being met by the guide.
Internal links (terms)
Avoid using internal links (terms). These links are to topics and usually the most relevant topic is already found by the breadcrumb.
Follow the sidebar links definition to link to content directly related to the user needs met by your content.