Data for young people by age, gender, region and local authority for October 2019 to September 2020.
This is not the latest release in the series: Young people not in education, employment or training (NEET)
16 to 18 year olds
- Overall, the proportion of 16 to 18 year olds who are NEET had been gradually decreasing between 2011 and 2017, but increased slightly in the last two years. The size of this increase varies depending on the source used.
- On the statistical first release basis (SFR), at end 2019, 11.1% of 16 to 18 year olds were NEET (11,200) compared with 10.6% (10,800) at end 2018.
- On the Annual Population Survey (APS) basis, for the year ending 2020 Quarter 3, 7.8% of 16 to 18 year olds were estimated to be NEET, compared with 8.6% at the year ending 2019 Quarter 3.
19 to 24 year olds
- On the SFR basis, at end 2019 15.7% of 19 to 24 year olds were NEET (37,400) a decrease compared with 16.0% (38,500) in 2018.
- After the start of the 2008 recession, the proportion of 19 to 24 who were NEET saw a large increase from 17.4% in 2008 to around 22% to 23% between 2009 and 2012. It then decreased each subsequent year up to 2017. The decrease was driven by increased labour market activity, with participation in education and training remaining fairly stable.
- On the APS basis, for the year ending 2020 Quarter 3, 14.6% of 19 to 24 year olds were estimated to be NEET, compared with 15.4% for the year ending 2019 Quarter 3.
- Statistical first release ‘Participation of young people in education and the labour market’ using education data sources and the Annual Population Survey.
- Annual Population Survey (Office for National Statistics).
It should be noted that each of these sources are estimates. Our guide to understanding the different sources of statistics on young people not in education, employment or training in Wales providers further information.
Datasets and interactive tools
Young people not in education, employment or training (NEET): October 2019 to September 2020 , file type: ODS, file size: 29 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 3358
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.