Leighton Andrews, Minister for Educations and Skills
I announced on 25 February 2013 that I would be developing a revised set of Welsh language standards for consultation. I estimated that the regulations making the first set of standards, alongside the regulations making standards specifically applicable to persons, would be made by the end of 2014.
At the Plenary debate on Welsh language standards held on 5 March 2013 I agreed to publish a timetable setting out the steps that need to be taken to make the regulations. The indicative timetable for developing regulations for the first set of standards is set out below.
The consultation document for the first set of standards will focus on enabling the Welsh Language Commissioner to impose duties on local authorities, national park authorities, and the Welsh Ministers.
- Develop a consultation document - In progress
- Consultation period - Mid-July – Mid-November 2013
- Consideration of consultation responses and preparation of draft regulations, explanatory memorandum and regulatory impact assessment - December 2013 – March 2014
- 3-month Standstill Period (EC Technical Standards Directive) - End March – end June 2014
- Passage of regulations through National Assembly - September / October 2014
- Regulations come into force - November 2014
I will make a further statement to Members at the beginning of the consultation period