Mark Drakeford MS, First Minister
The Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No. 5) (Wales) Regulations 2020 have today been amended in a number of areas.
Following my Written Statement on 1 April, the regulations now provide for a number of restrictions to be lifted from 12 April. These are alongside the welcome return of all children and students to face-to-face learning on the same day.
From Monday 12 April:
- All non-essential retail can reopen.
- All close contact services can resume, including mobile services (other than a small number of high risk procedures as identified in the guidance).
- Travel restrictions within the UK and Common Travel Area will be lifted. People will still not be allowed to travel internationally without a reasonable excuse.
- Restrictions on political canvassing are removed, subject to canvassers doing so safely.
- Wedding ‘show-arounds’ by appointment are allowed.
My Written Statement on 1 April also set out my intention to provide for further easements during the next review cycle from 22 April. Because community rates of coronavirus across Wales continue to decrease and hospital pressures are easing, I am able to bring forward some of our plans by a week, subject to the public health situation remaining favourable. These changes remain consistent with the cautious and phased approach set out in the updated Coronavirus Control Plan: Revised Alert Levels in Wales (March 2021).
From Monday 26 April:
- Outdoor attractions, including funfairs and theme parks, will be allowed to reopen.
- Outdoor hospitality can resume, including at cafes, pubs and restaurants. Indoor hospitality will remain closed except for takeaways.
- Organised outdoor activities for adults for up to 30 people can again take place.
- Weddings receptions can take place outdoors, but will also be limited to 30 people
From Monday 3 May:
- Gyms, fitness facilities, leisure centres and swimming pools can reopen. This will include individual or one-to-one training, but not group exercise classes.
- Extended households will be permitted (an exclusive bubble of two households which can meet and have contact indoors.)