An annual report showing data by age, local authority, mode of study and residual income.
This is the latest release in the series: Welsh Government Learning Grants (further education)
The Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG) encourages people aged 19 or over and living in Wales to continue with their education. Students can receive payments of up to £1,500 if they are in full-time education or up to £750 if they are in part-time education.
The data, based on applications received by 31 July 2018, are correct as at 1 August 2018.
- There was a decrease in the number of successful applications in 2017/18 compared with 2016/17. This resulted in £5.6 million being paid out in WGLGs to further education (FE) students in 2017/18, compared to the £5.8 million that was paid out in 2016/17.
- In total, 6,045 students in FE applied for a WGLG in 2017/18, a decrease of 3 per cent on 2016/17. Of these 5,145 applications were successful, a decrease of 5 per cent on 2016/17.
- The breakdown of successful applications across full-time and part-time students favoured full-time even more than recent years. 4,760 (92 per cent) of successful applications were from full-time students and 350 (7 per cent) of successful applications were from part-time students.
- Successful applications equate to 85 per cent of applications received. This proportion has decreased slightly from 87 per cent in 2016/17. The proportion of successful applications from full-time students remains very high at around 98 per cent, with the corresponding figure for part-time students at 85 per cent.
- 3,700 (78 per cent) of successful full-time applications and 280 (81 per cent) of successful part-time applications were from students with a residual income of £6,120 or less, and were therefore awarded the full grant amounts of £1,500 and £750 respectively. These proportions have changed little since 2008/09.
- 2,015 (42 per cent) of successful full-time applications and 65 (19 per cent) of successful part-time applications were from students aged 21 or under.
Welsh Government Learning Grants: further education, September 2017 to August 2018
file type: PDF, file size: 847 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 0533
Tel: 0300 025 8099