An annual report showing data by age, local authority, mode of study and residual income.
This is the latest release in the series: Welsh Government Learning Grants: further education
The Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG) encourages people aged 19 or over and living in Wales to continue with their education. Students can receive payments of up to £1,500 if they are in full-time education or up to £750 if they are in part-time education.
The data, based on applications received by 31 July 2018, are correct as at 1 August 2018.
- There was a decrease in the number of successful applications in 2017/18 compared with 2016/17. This resulted in £5.6 million being paid out in WGLGs to further education (FE) students in 2017/18, compared to the £5.8 million that was paid out in 2016/17.
- In total, 6,045 students in FE applied for a WGLG in 2017/18, a decrease of 3 per cent on 2016/17. Of these 5,145 applications were successful, a decrease of 5 per cent on 2016/17.
- The breakdown of successful applications across full-time and part-time students favoured full-time even more than recent years. 4,760 (92 per cent) of successful applications were from full-time students and 350 (7 per cent) of successful applications were from part-time students.
- Successful applications equate to 85 per cent of applications received. This proportion has decreased slightly from 87 per cent in 2016/17. The proportion of successful applications from full-time students remains very high at around 98 per cent, with the corresponding figure for part-time students at 85 per cent.
- 3,700 (78 per cent) of successful full-time applications and 280 (81 per cent) of successful part-time applications were from students with a residual income of £6,120 or less, and were therefore awarded the full grant amounts of £1,500 and £750 respectively. These proportions have changed little since 2008/09.
- 2,015 (42 per cent) of successful full-time applications and 65 (19 per cent) of successful part-time applications were from students aged 21 or under.
Welsh Government Learning Grants: further education, September 2017 to August 2018
file type: PDF, file size: 847 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 0533
Tel: 0300 025 8099