Data includes information by destination and product sector for April 2018 to March 2019.
- The value of exports for Wales for the year ending March 2019 was £17.7 billion, up £1.2 billion (7.5%) compared with the same period the previous year.
- 10 of the twelve UK countries and English regions had increases with the Scotland having the largest increase (up 12.9%), compared with the year ending March 2018. The largest decrease was seen in the West Midlands (down 3.7%). Wales saw the fourth largest increase.
- There was an increase in exports to EU countries of £829 million (8.3%) and an increase in exports to non-EU countries of £400 million (6.2%), compared with the year ending March 2018. Exports to the EU accounted for 61.1% of Welsh exports compared with 50.3% for the UK.
- Germany continued to be the top export destination accounting for 17.8% of exports, down from 19.8% compared with the year ending March 2018.
- Exports from Wales continued to be dominated by ‘Machinery and Transport Equipment’ which made up 49.7% of exports.
The data above relates to exports of goods. Experimental statistics produced by the Office for National statistics suggest that service exports make up approximately 30% of total exports in Wales.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 9016
Tel: 0300 025 8099