Data on goods exported to destinations outside the UK for 2018.
Main points for the year ending December 2018
- The value of exports for Wales for the year ending December 2018 was £17.2 billion, up £0.7 billion (4.2%) compared with 2017.
- 9 of the twelve UK countries and English regions had increases with the East Midlands having the largest increase (up 7.9%), compared with 2017. The largest decrease was seen in the North West (down 3.1%). Wales saw the fifth largest increase.
- There was an increase in exports to EU countries of £556 million (5.6%) and an increase in exports to non-EU countries of £140 million (2.1%), compared with 2017. Exports to the EU accounted for 61.2% of Welsh exports compared with 49.9% for the UK.
- Germany was the top export destination accounting for 18.2% of exports, down from 19.6% of exports compared with 2017.
- Exports from Wales are dominated by ‘Machinery and Transport Equipment’ which made up 49.6% of exports.
The data above relates to exports of goods. Experimental statistics produced by the Office for National statistics suggest that service exports make up approximately 30% of total exports in Wales.
Welsh exports, 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 583 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 9016
Telephone: 0300 025 8099