Skip to content

Welfare of animals in transport

The content of this page is not being updated. Get up to date information on animal welfare at

Related Links

Standards of welfare applied in Wales to farmed and domestic, companion animals.
if you've seen a term you don't understand, please check here for an explanation.
Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.
From 5th January 2007, a new Regulation on the protection of animals during transport applies across the European Union (EU), with some elements coming into force in 2008 and 2009. This replaces EU Directive 91/628.

On the 30 March 2007, the Welfare of Farmed Animals (Transport) (Wales) Order 2007 (external link) was implemented by the National Assembly for Wales for the administration and enforcement of the Council Regulation 1/2005 (external link) in Wales.

The Regulation applies to all those involved with the transport of vertebrate animals in connection with an economic activity.  For example, livestock and equine hauliers, farmers, animal breeders, transporters of performing animals and those working at markets assembly centres and slaughterhouses.  It does not apply to individuals who ride for pleasure who transport their own horse or to individuals taking their own pets on holiday. It also doesn't apply to a farmer transporting a single animal.

Exemptions to the regulation

The Regulation does not apply to the transport of animals:

  • when not in connection with an economic activity
  • transport to or from veterinary practice or clinics under veterinary advice
  • where the animals are pets accompanied by their owners on a journey.

Animals that cannot be transported (except under veterinary advice)

  • unfit animals
  • very young animals
  • calves of less than 14 days of age
  • pregnant animals
  • cats and dogs under 8 weeks of age.

Training and competence certification

Transporters and attendants using road vehicles for transporting farm animals, poultry or horses over 65 km in connection with an economic activity must receive training and  hold a certificate of competence issued by independent body nominated by Welsh Government.

National Proficiency Tests Council (NPTC) (external link), part of the City and Guilds Group has been designated to provide training and issue certificates of competence. NPTC provide on-line assessments, one to one training and assessments. Assessment courses are available at designated colleges and assessment and training providers throughout Wales.  For further information, please contact NPTC, Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire, CV8 2LG, or telephone 024 7685 7300.

You may also contact your local college or training provider for further information.

External links