The strategic authority for overseeing all aspects of Post-Compulsory Education and Training (PCET).
The commission, subject to legislation, will be established as an independent Welsh Government sponsored body by 2023. It will be responsible for overseeing the post-16 sector in Wales which includes further education (FE), higher education (HE), apprenticeships, sixth forms and Welsh Government funded research and innovation in the PCET sector.
- Protecting the interests of learners, ensuring vocational and academic learning are equally valued
- align education and training more closely with the needs of employers
- monitor performance and governance whilst protecting the academic freedom of institutions
- monitor and promote improvement in education and training providers
- take a whole system approach to research and innovation funding with an ability to provide funding to a wide range of HE and FE institutions
- to increase the availability of Welsh-medium tertiary education and to encourage individuals to learn through the medium of Welsh.
Tertiary Education and Research (Wales) Bill
The Tertiary Education and Research (Wales) Bill was Introduced into the Senedd on the 1 November 2021. If passed, it will become law by summer 2022.
PCET Strategic Vision
The strategic vision seeks to build on the strengths of Wales’s PCET sector in order to better meet the challenges and opportunities ahead.
The Welsh Government commissioned Professor Ellen Hazelkorn to undertake a review of the governance, regulation and oversight of post-compulsory education in Wales. The report contained two primary recommendations:
- develop an overarching vision for the PCET sector
- establish a new arm’s-length body responsible for the oversight, strategic direction and leadership of the sector.
Following the review, a White Paper was issued in 2017: Public Good and a Prosperous Wales.
This was followed by a technical consultation, Public Good and a Prosperous Wales: the next steps, which closed on 17 July 2018.
On the 14 July 2020, The Welsh Government published the Tertiary Education and Research (Wales) Bill in draft for consultation. The consultation closed on 4 December 2020. A summary of responses were published on 25 February 2021.
If you require further information or guidance, please contact us at CTER@gov.wales