Number of staff in the higher education sector for September 2018 to August 2019.
- The number of staff at Welsh universities remained at a similar level in in 2018/19, at 20,875.
- Cardiff University employed the most staff (6,805), the next largest was Swansea University (3,820).
- Glyndwr University was the smallest university in terms of staff numbers, employing 480 in 2018/19.
- Just under half of all staff (49.2%) were on academic contracts.
- Just under two thirds of staff were full-time for academic contracts, and just over two thirds for non-academic contracts.
- Of those who weren’t on an academic contract, 4,065 were in professional or technical occupations. 3,815 were in administrative and secretarial occupations and 920 were in ‘elementary occupations’.
- 55.0% of all staff positions were filled by women. However, they held 47.2% of academic roles. Just over two thirds of all part-time staff were female.
- 11.4% of academic staff members reported they were able to teach through Welsh. 51.1% of those were actually doing so.
Based on statistics produced by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). Finance comparisons made with previous years use figures which are re-stated in the most recent financial statements available.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 062 2587
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.