Data on medical, dental, nursing and midwifery staff, as at 31 December 2020.
The time period covered by this data includes the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Most of the staff groups at 31 December 2020 included staff on short-term or fixed contracts brought in to help during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Between 31 December 2019 and 31 December 2020 (in terms of full-time equivalent numbers)
- The total number of staff increased by 4,599 (5.6%) to 86,141.
- Medical and dental staff increased by 504 (7.5%) to 7,245.
- Nursing, midwifery and health visiting staff increased by 1,737 (5.2%) to 35,087.
- Other staff groups increased by 2,359 (5.7%) to 43,809.
- Staff headcount increased by 4,810 (5.1%) to 100,000.
Data has been published on StatsWales. There is no statistical release.
This data has some seasonal patterns. Medical and dental and nursing staff numbers tend to decline in the period up until August and then increase from September as graduates start. As such, comparisons are made with the same quarter from the previous year.
Over recent years a number of data quality issues have been identified with the data. Full details are provided in the quality report.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6735
Telephone: 0300 025 8099