A report which gives estimates of the size structure of all enterprises that are active in Wales for 2021.
- There were an estimated 262,800 enterprises active in Wales, employing an estimated 1.2 million people.
- The majority of active enterprises were small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) with 0 to 249 employees. They accounted for 99.4% of total enterprises in Wales in 2021. Micro enterprises (0 to 9 employees) accounted for 95.0% of the total enterprises in Wales.
- Large enterprises (those with 250 or more employees) accounted for 37.4% of employment in Wales compared with 39.7% for the UK as a whole.
- Since 2003 the proportion of employment in large enterprises decreased by 4.2 percentage points.
- Around 0.5% of enterprises active in Wales were non-UK owned. These enterprises accounted for 14.2% of employment.
- There was considerable variation between industry sectors, with employment in agriculture, forestry and fishing dominated by micro businesses (87.3%) and employment in production industries concentrated in the large size-band (50.1%).
Size analysis of businesses: 2021 , file type: PDF, file size: 541 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 9010
Telephone: 0300 025 8099