A report which gives estimates of the size structure of all enterprises that are active in Wales for 2019.
- Large enterprises (those with 250 or more employees) accounted for 37.6% of employment in Wales compared with 39.9% for the UK as a whole.
- Since 2003 the proportion of employment in the large size-band decreased by 4.0 percentage points in Wales.
- Around 0.5% of enterprises active in Wales were non-UK owned. These enterprises accounted for 14.3% of employment, an increase of 0.3 percentage points over the year.
- There was considerable variation between industry sectors, with employment in agriculture, forestry and fishing dominated by micro businesses (89.5%) and employment in production industries concentrated in the large size-band (50.3%).
- Within Wales, the local authorities with the largest proportion of employment in the large size-band were Newport (51.4%) and Cardiff (49.8%) and the local authority with the smallest proportion was Powys (19.3%).
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 6415
Tel: 0300 025 8099