Data showing the short term movements in the output of industries in the production, construction and market services sectors for July to September 2021.
Impact of coronavirus
These estimates cover July to September 2021 and annual estimates for October 2020 to September 2021. Both of these time periods occured during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Care should be taken when interpreting these indices. Estimates for individual quarters can fluctuate and it is recommended that emphasis is based on longer term trends.
Estimates for Wales are typically more volatile than the UK, and as a result comparison between the two should be made with caution, especially over the shorter term.
All three indices increased on an annual basis (the latest four quarters compared to the previous four quarters) for Wales. On a quarterly basis two indices showed increases. This follows a period of change with the largest quarterly decreases on record in April to June 2020 (which included part of the initial lockdown period) and the subsequent largest increases on record during July to September 2020 (reflecting the easing of restrictions over the summer months).
Index of Market Services
- The longer-term trends show a 6.9% increase for Wales and a 2.0% increase for the UK in the year to September 2021, compared with the previous twelve months.
- In Wales, eight of the nine Market Service industry indices increased on an annual basis.
- Compared to the previous quarter, the index of market services increased by 3.6% in Wales and by 1.9% in the UK.
- The increase in Wales was largely accounted for by an increase in Accommodation and food service activities.
Index of Production
- The longer-term trend for Wales shows a 1.5% increase in the year to September 2021 on an annual basis; UK output increased by 3.6% over the same period.
- The Index of Production for Wales shows a 1.0% increase when compared to the previous quarter; UK output decreased slightly over the same period.
Index of Construction
- The longer-term trend for Wales shows a 16.4% increase in the year to September 2021 on an annual basis; UK output increased by 10.0% over the same period.
- The Index of Construction for Wales shows a 1.5% decrease when comparing the latest quarter to the previous quarter; UK output decreased by 1.0% over the same period.
Short-term output indicators, July to September 2021 , file type: PDF, file size: 1 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 9010
Telephone: 0300 025 8099