Data showing the short term movements in the output of industries in the production, construction and market services sectors for January to March 2022.
Impact of coronavirus
These estimates cover January to March 2022 and annual estimates for April 2021 to March 2022. These time periods, as well as those used for annual comparisons, occurred during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Care should be taken when interpreting these indices, estimates for individual quarters can fluctuate and it is recommended that emphasis is based on longer-term trends.
Estimates for Wales are typically more volatile than the UK, and as a result comparison between the two should be made with caution, especially over the shorter-term.
All three indices increased on an annual basis; the latest four quarters (April 2021 to March 2022) for Wales. On a quarterly basis all indices showed increases. This follows a period of change with the largest quarterly decreases on record in April to June 2020 (which included part of the initial lockdown period) and the subsequent largest increases on record during July to September 2020 (reflecting the easing of restrictions over the summer months).
Index of Market Services
- The longer-term trends show a 9.3% increase for Wales and a 10.7% increase for the UK in the year to March 2022, compared with the previous twelve months.
- In Wales, six of the nine Market Service industry indices increased on an annual basis.
- The Index of Market Services for Wales shows a 1.1% increase when compared to the previous quarter. UK output increased by 0.9% over the same period.
Index of Production
- The longer-term trend shows a 4.4% increase for Wales and a 6.0% increase for the UK in the year to March 2022, compared with the previous twelve months.
- The Index of Production for Wales shows a 3.1% increase when compared to the previous quarter. UK output increased by 1.3% over the same period.
Index of Construction
- The longer-term trend shows a 21.7% increase for Wales and a 15.5% increase for the UK in the year to March 2022, compared with the previous twelve months.
- The Index of Construction for Wales shows a 0.7% increase when comparing the latest quarter to the previous quarter. UK output increased by 2.2% over the same period.
Short-term output indicators: January to March 2022 , file type: PDF, file size: 650 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.