Statistics on schools, teachers and pupils including data for local authorities and Wales as at January 2019.
- Overall, there were 27 fewer local authority maintained schools than at January 2018. This is mainly due to school mergers.
- There were 1,286 more pupils (468,398) in local authority maintained schools than at January 2018.
- The percentage of pupils aged 5 to 15 known to be eligible for free school meals has increased from 17.4% in January 2018 to 18.3% in January 2019.
- There were 23,593 full-time equivalent qualified teachers in local authority maintained schools, 277 fewer than at January 2018.
- There were 103,976 pupils with special educational needs in maintained schools (22.2% of all pupils), down from 105,625 (22.6%) in January 2018.
- 7.2% of pupils (7,581) were in infant classes of over 30 pupils; down from 8.1% (8,695) in January 2018.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 5060
Telephone: 0300 025 8099