A report that presents data collected from the School Census, with additional information on teacher sickness absence for January 2018.
Statistics on schools, teachers and pupils include data for Local Authorities (LA) and Wales as at January 2018.
- Overall, there were 26 fewer Local Authority maintained schools than at January 2017. This is mainly due to school mergers.
- There were 604 more pupils (467,112) in LA maintained schools than at January 2017.
- The percentage of pupils aged 5-15 known to be eligible for free meals has decreased from 17.8 in January 2017 to 17.4 in January 2018.
- There were 23,871 full-time equivalent qualified teachers in maintained schools, 39 fewer than at January 2017.
- 8.1% of pupils (8,695) were in infant classes of over 30 pupils – down from 8.2% (8,794) in January 2017.
- 61% of teachers took sickness absence during 2017, compared to 63% in 2016.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 5060
Tel: 0300 025 8099