The winning card will be sent to the Queen and US President-elect Joe Biden.
First Minister Mark Drakeford is asking budding young artists to enter this year’s Christmas card competition. The winning design will be chosen by the First Minister and used as his official Christmas card.
The First Minister’s sends his Christmas card to thousands of people around the world, including to the Queen and to the President-elect of the United States, Joe Biden, and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.
While rainbows may not be traditionally associated with Christmas, the children, who must be aged seven to 11 to enter the competition, are being asked to pay tribute to the efforts of critical workers during the pandemic by using their imagination to incorporate the colourful symbol into their design.
First Minister Mark Drakeford said:
“I’m looking forward to seeing my desk, which is usually piled high with work papers, covered in brightly-coloured designs and festive rainbows.
“We all need a little cheering up after a difficult year and a rainbow never fails to make me smile. I’m really looking forward to seeing the results of the children’s imaginations in my post bag!”
- The closing date for the competition is Wednesday 2 December
- The competition is open to school-aged children in years three to six (age seven to 11)
- The design could include a rainbow and a Christmas star
- All entries should be to a maximum size of A4 (210mm x 297mm)
- Entries can be in portrait or landscape orientation
- All entries should be “flat” – no uneven surfaces, no cotton wool, glitter etc.
- Bright, vibrant colours reproduce well
- Dark backgrounds should be avoided
- If you want to include text on the artwork then please ask your teacher for help with translation or use Google Translate. Here are some standard phrases too: Nadolig Llawen- Merry Christmas / Cyfarchion y Tymor- Season’s Greetings. Please put Welsh first followed by English.
- Please include the person’s name and contact details with the entry
- Please note that unfortunately we will not be able to return any entries
- Images made on a computer device can be sent by email. Non-digital designs can still be sent by email – please take a clear and well-lit photograph of your hard-copy design, but please keep the original artwork so you can send it in if you are successful.
Email your entries to email@example.com or by post to First Minister’s Christmas Card competition, Welsh Government, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3NQ.