Data on bus services, bus passes, frequency of buses and taxis for April 2017 to March 2018.
- The number of journeys undertaken on local bus services in Wales, and the total distance travelled, have stabilised in recent years. This followed a long term decline in bus usage.
- 99.9 million passenger journeys were undertaken on local buses in Wales in 2017-18. These services covered a total of 99.1 million vehicle kilometres. Commercial services accounted for 77% of the distance travelled and subsidised services accounted for 23%.
- The number of drivers and vehicles in operation increased in 2017-18, after a long term downward trend.
- There was a 7.7% increase in drivers to 3,798, and a 4.2% increase in the number of vehicles to 2,458.
- Bus fares in Wales increased from 2017 to 2018.
- Bus fares in Wales increased by 3.6% from 2017 to 2018, higher than the UK consumer price inflation rate over the same period.
- Taxi registrations fell (down 1.5%) but private hire vehicle registrations increased (up 3.5%) in 2018.
- In Wales, 5,007 taxis and 4,936 private hire vehicles were licensed as of March 2018.
Public service vehicles (buses and taxis), April 2017 to March 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 799 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6415
Telephone: 0300 025 8099