In this guide
6. Convert a space above a shop into a flat
You may be able to convert space over a shop (and certain space over premises with a display window), or over a ground floor office, into a single flat without putting in a planning application if you can answer yes to the following requirements:
- the space is in the same class of use as the shop or office to start with (either Use Class A1 (shops) or A2 (financial and professional services))
- the space is not in a separate planning unit from the existing use
- you will not change the outside appearance of the building
- if there is a display window at ground floor level, you will not incorporate any of the ground floor into the flat.
Contact your Local Planning Authority for further guidance.