The report looks at pet ownership, pet insurance and micro-chipping for April 2014 to March 2015.
This is the latest release
- 47% of households owned a pet. Of these households, 62% owned dogs, and 39% owned cats. 14% owned fish and 6% owned birds.
- Pet dogs were most commonly purchased from a private seller (36%)
- The most common place for households to get a pet cat was from friends and neighbours (38%).
- Overall 78% of dogs acquired in the past five years were microchipped (81% in non-materially deprived households and 67% in materially deprived households).
- Household material deprivation was found to be the key factor determining whether a dog had been microchipped or insured.
- 46% of dogs and 21% of cats were insured. 50% of horses were insured.
Pet welfare (National Survey for Wales), April 2014 to March 2015 , file type: PDF, file size: 430 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 6685
Telephone: 0300 025 8099