The report presents NHS expenditure by programme of care allocated based on the medical condition the expenditure relates to for April 2018 to March 2019.
- Total expenditure for all programme budget categories was £6.8 billion or £2,167 per head of the population.
- Total expenditure in 2018-19 was 4.1% higher than expenditure in 2017-18 and 30.1% higher from a decade ago.
- The programme budget category with the biggest increase (excluding ‘other’) was ‘cancers and tumours’, which increased by £34 million (7.3%) from 2017-18.
- The largest single programme budget category (excluding ‘other’) was ‘mental health problems’ with 11.1% of the total.
- Spending per head of the population on clinical programmes (excluding ‘other’) ranged from £11.73 on ‘hearing problems’ to £240.82 on ‘mental health problems’.
NHS expenditure programme budgets, April 2018 to March 2019 , file type: PDF, file size: 552 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6735
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.