Number of patients receiving NHS dental treatment, the type of treatments provided and the numbers of NHS dentists for April 2019 to March 2020.
Patients treated in the 24 months before 31 March 2020
- 1.7 million patients (54.8% of the population) were treated in the 24 month period ending March 2020.
- 51.4% of adults were treated, decreasing from the previous period; and 68.6% of children, increasing from the previous period.
Between 1 April 2019 and 31 March 2020
- 45.5% of all courses of treatment were for paying adults.
- The total patient charge for this amounted to £34.9 million, a decrease of 4.0% when compared to the patient charge of £36.4 million in 2018-19.
- There were 2.3 million individual NHS dental courses of treatment, a decrease of 3.7% compared with 2018-19.
- 4.6 million units of dental activity were carried out in 2019-20, a decrease of 5.9% from 2018-19.
- A total of 1,472 dentists who had NHS activity were recorded between 1 April 2019 and 31 March 2020.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 5101
Telephone: 0300 025 8099