The 2018-based projections provide statistics on the potential future size and age structure of the population of the UK and its constituent countries.
- The population of Wales is projected to increase by 0.6% to 3.16 million by 2028, but decrease by 0.9% to 3.11 million by 2043.
- This is the first time a longer-term population decrease has been projected for Wales in recent times.
- The number of children aged under 16 is projected to decrease by 6.8% to 524,300 between 2018 and 2028.
- The number of people aged 16-64 is projected to decrease by 1.7% to 1,890,400 between 2018 and 2028.
- The number of people aged 65 and over is projected to increase by 13.8% to 742,200 between 2018 and 2028.
- The number of people aged 75 and over is projected to increase by 29.0% to 377,300 between 2018 and 2028.
The detailed dataset on StatsWales will be updated to include these new data as soon as possible.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 0373
Tel: 0300 025 8099