Data on fixed penalty notices, court proceedings, drug and drink driving offences, and breath tests for 2019.
Fixed penalty notices (FPNs)
- In 2019 police and traffic wardens issued 74,400 FPNs in Wales, broadly similar to the previous year. Speed limit offences accounted for 81% of FPNs in 2019.
- In recent years FPNs have fallen steadily from over 112,000 in 2012.
- 56,800 motoring offenders were prosecuted in Wales in 2019.
Accidents involving drink driving (2018 data)
- In 2018, an estimated 5% of all recorded accidents in Wales involved one or more drivers impaired by alcohol. For accidents resulting in killed or seriously injured casualties the proportion was higher, at 7%.
- 10% of motor vehicle drivers killed in Wales, were found to have had a blood alcohol level over the legal limit, which is lower than the percentage in Great Britain (14%).
Screening breath tests
- In 2019, 32,500 screening breath tests were carried out in Wales. 4,600 of these tests (14%) were positive or refused, an increase of 2 percentage points compared with 2018.
- In 2019, there were 183 positive breath tests of drivers involved in accidents. This was an increase of 39 (27%) compared with 2018.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 061 6029
Telephone: 0300 025 8099