Data including antenatal care, care at delivery and outcomes for babies.
The data source is in its infancy and as a result these statistics are marked as ‘Experimental’.
- There were 28,361 deliveries in Welsh maternity units in 2017-18 which could be matched to initial assessment records.
Of these pregnancies:
- 28% had the characteristics of a ‘healthy birth’
- 67% had their antenatal initial assessment before 10 weeks of gestation
- 28,729 births occurred, of which 28,594 (or 99.5%) were live births.
Of the 28,729 births:
- 2.5% (724 births) were multiple births (twins, triplets or higher order)
- 27% were born by Caesarean section
- 61% of mothers intended to breastfeed their babies at birth (6 health boards).
Maternity statistics, April 2017 to March 2018 (experimental statistics)
file type: PDF, file size: 2 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 1646
Tel: 0300 025 8099