Statistics from antenatal, birth, and child health records including smoking during pregnancy, breastfeeding and birthweights for children born in Wales in 2019.
- There were 29,728 live births in Wales.
- 4% of live births were to mothers aged under 20, the lowest percentage on record.
- At least 72% of women received their initial antenatal assessment before the end of their tenth week of pregnancy.
- 25% of women had a mental health condition reported at their initial assessment.
- 28% of women were obese (BMI 30+) at their initial assessment.
- 17% of women were recorded as a smoker at initial assessment; 18% of these were not recorded as smokers at birth.
- 51% of labours started spontaneously while 33% were induced.
- 28% of births occurred via caesarean section, just under half of which were elective and just over half were emergencies.
- 6% of singleton births had low birthweight.
- 62% of mothers breastfed at birth, the highest on record.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 1646
Telephone: 0300 025 8099