Statistics from antenatal, birth, and child health records including smoking during pregnancy, breastfeeding and birthweights for children born in Wales in 2018.
- There were 31,329 live births in Wales.
- 3.8% of live births were to mothers aged under 20, the lowest percentage on record.
- At least 73.1% of women received their initial antenatal assessment before the end of their 10th week of pregnancy.
- 24.1% of women had a mental health condition reported at their initial assessment.
- 28.0% of women were obese (BMI 30+) at their initial assessment.
- 17.9% of women were recorded as a smoker at initial assessment; 17.3% of these were not recorded as smokers at birth.
- 50.4% of labours started spontaneously while 33.5% were induced.
- 27.9% of births occurred via caesarean section, just under half of which were elective and just over half were emergencies.
- 5.6% of singleton births had low birthweight, the same percentage as in 2017.
- 61.6% of mothers breastfed at birth, the highest on record.
Tel: 0300 025 1646
Tel: 0300 025 8099