The report looks at what factors make a household more likely to be in material deprivation.
This is the latest release
The strongest predictors of being in material deprivation were:
- living in social housing (compared with owner-occupied)
- having low to very low life satisfaction (compared with medium to high life satisfaction)
- being separated or divorced (compared with being married or widowed)
- being 16-59 (compared with being 70+).
People with these characteristics are around 10 percentage points more likely to be in material deprivation.
More detailed analysis also found that women with children were more likely to be in material deprivation, in particular those who were divorced or separated.
We did not find a link between the following and being in material deprivation:
- country of birth
- living in an urban or rural area
- local authority area.
Which households are most likely to be in material deprivation?, April 2014 to March 2015
file type: PDF, file size: 488 KB
Tel: 0300 025 6685
Tel: 0300 025 8099