How we are developing policies for the sustainable use of our seas.
Welsh National Marine Plan
We published the first WNMP on 12 November 2019. It sets out our policy for the next 20 years for the sustainable use of our seas. We have also published the implementation guidance. This ensures the policies within the WNMP are implemented effectively and consistently. The guidance should be read alongside the WNMP.
Under the Marine and Coastal Access Act (MCAA), we must produce a Marine Plan. Welsh Ministers are the planning authority for the Welsh:
- inshore region (out to 12 nautical miles)
- offshore region (12 to 200 nautical miles)
The Welsh National Marine Plan (WNMP) contains contain plans and policies which will:
- support our vision for clean, healthy, safe and diverse seas
- guide future sustainable development
- support the growth of marine space and natural resources (’blue growth’)
Implementing the plan
Public authorities must make decisions based on the policies in the Welsh National Marine Plan. The Marine Planning Decision Maker's Group help public authorities understand their role. We have also published Welsh National Marine Plan: frequently asked questions.
To enable effective implementation of the WNMP we have produced a number of supporting documents:
- Welsh National Marine Plan: overview
- Welsh National marine Plan: vision, objectives and policies (quick reference)
- Welsh National Marine Plan: monitoring and reporting framework
- Welsh National Marine Plan: summary of changes following consultation on draft plan
- Welsh National Marine Plan: sustainability appraisal
- Welsh National Marine Plan: habitats regulation assessment
To understand more about the plan see:
- our animation explaining the marine planning process.
- our webinars, covering aspects of Marine Planning
- our newsletter to keep up to date on the latest developments in Marine Planning.
In developing the plan, we have sought stakeholder input, in the following ways:
Having a sound evidence base will:
- improve our knowledge of our seas
- inform their sustainable use and management
- enable effective marine planning
Our evidence base includes:
- Mitigation and Compensation Opportunity in Marine Consenting
- The WNMP: strategic scoping exercise
- Wales’ marine evidence report: 2015
- Update to Wales marine evidence report: January 2020
- Sustainable management of marine natural resources
We will review and update the marine evidence report from time to time. This will give us an understanding of our seas.