Information about students training to become teachers on courses of initial teacher education (ITE) that lead to qualified teacher status for September 2019 to August 2020.
For 2019/20, the Education Workforce Council (EWC) set the allocations for ITE courses in Wales. This is based on whether they are training to be primary or secondary school teachers and whether they are taking postgraduate or undergraduate courses.
- The number of new secondary school trainee teachers was below the allocation for a sixth year (54% lower in 2019/20). The number of new primary school trainees was below the allocation for a fifth year (12% lower in 2019/20).
- There were 1,080 entrants to ITE courses in 2019/20; 615 on primary school courses and 465 on secondary school courses.
- There has been an increase in first year ITE students in Wales able to teach in Welsh following a previous five year decline, standing at 235 students in 2019/20. This accounts for 22% of the total number of first year ITE students in Wales.
- Science, English and Mathematics are the most common priority subjects for entrants to secondary school ITE courses in Wales.
- Over 8 out of every 10 new ITE students training in Wales were living in Wales before they started their degree.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 062 2587
Telephone: 0300 025 8099