This consultation ended 17 November 2011.
The responses to this consultation are currently being reviewed. Details of the outcome will be published here in due course.
We want to make changes to the existing planning appeals system in Wales. These changes will simplify the appeals process and bring cost and time savings. They will also ensure that the procedures can deal with appeals of differing complexities.
Our proposed changes include:
- a fast track system for householder appeals;
- Enabling the Planning Inspectorate to decide the appeal method for each case based on Ministerially approved and published criteria;
- Extending the power to apply for costs to be awarded to appeals dealt with by written representations;
- Making it easier to correct error(s) in appeal decisions;
- Giving inspectors authority to determine appeals for old minerals permissions;
- Changing payment arrangements of enforcement application fees when appeals are lodged so that the entire fee is paid to the local planning authority;
- Requiring that Statements of Common Ground are submitted earlier; and
- a formal process and guidance for time tables for complex inquiries.