Huw Thomas is Managing Director of Puffin Produce.
Huw is a dairy farmer’s son from Pembrokeshire. He has spent thirty years in agriculture related roles throughout the UK. He spent ten years as a research scientist at Cambridge University’s Department of Genetics. He worked in the Welsh Development Agency/Welsh Government Agri-Food Strategy team. He also spent three years as Head of Strategy and Market Information at DairyCo.
Huw has a wide ranging knowledge of the food supply chain:
- from primary agriculture, through processing to the interface with major retailers
- in farming, research and government
Huw returned to Pembrokeshire to run Puffin Produce 10 years ago. In that time, Puffin has grown rapidly but sustainably:
- turnover has grown from £9m to £30m
- employee numbers have increased from 45 to 175
- long term supply relationships established with Aldi, Asda, Coop, JS, M&S, Morrisons, Spar, Tesco and Waitrose
- ‘Blas Y Tir’ brand developed with retail sales of over £1m per month. The brand is now recognised and bought regularly by 40% of Welsh shoppers.
- PGI status achieved for Pembrokeshire Earlies, raising sales by 40%
- £13m capex programme implemented, creating built one of the most efficient potato factories in the UK
Huw has two daughters 11 and 12 and enjoys watching sport and socialising in his spare time.