Information on houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) and on the condition of residential properties assessed by local authorities under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) for April 2018 to March 2019.
- During 2018-19, local authorities carried out 5,652 assessments under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS), a decrease of 10% on the previous year.
- During 2018-19, Category 1 hazards were found in 2,209 (39%) of all assessments made. The percentage of assessments with category 1 hazards increased overall but varied at a local authority level.
- The most common Category 1 hazard found in both Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) and non-HMOs was ‘Excess Cold’.
- Action by local authorities during 2018-19, resulted in 1,352 Category 1 hazards being resolved, of which 358 (26%) were in Houses in Multiple Occupation.
- At 31 March 2019, there were 8,722 licensed HMOs. Of these, 32% (2,808) were classified as mandatory licenses and 68% (5,914) as ‘additional licensing’ schemes.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 061 5675
Tel: 0300 025 8099