A report that includes information by household type, population and average size for mid-2019.
Estimated households for Wales
- Since mid-1991 the number of households in Wales has increased by 23.0% from 1.11 million to 1.37 million in mid-2019.
- Between mid-2018 and mid-2019 the estimated number of households in Wales increased by 9,950 (0.7%) to 1.37 million.
- The overall increase was mainly due to increases in one-person and two-person households, which remained the most common household types in Wales, based on these estimates.
Estimated households by local authority
- The estimated number of households increased in all local authorities in Wales between mid-2018 and mid-2019.
- The largest increases were seen in Cardiff, Bridgend, and Rhondda Cynon Taf.
Private household population
- At a Wales-level, the estimated private household population has increased by around 13,800 between mid-2018 and mid-2019.
- Ceredigion and Wrexham showed a decrease in their private household populations.
Estimates of average household size
- The estimated average household size for Wales has been steadily decreasing.
- In mid-2019 the estimated average household size for Wales was 2.26 persons per household compared with 2.52 persons in mid-1991.
- All local authorities have shown a decrease in estimated average household size since 2011.
Household estimates, mid-2019 , file type: PDF, file size: 983 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6186
Telephone: 0300 025 8099