You have the right to choose whom you marry, when you marry or if you marry at all.
Forced marriage is when you face physical, emotional or psychological pressure to marry. For example, threats, physical violence or sexual violence or if you are made to feel like you are bringing shame on your family.
Honour based violence and forced marriage is a crime. It is illegal to:
- pressure or force someone into marriage
- take someone overseas to force them to marry
- marry someone who lacks the mental capacity to consent to the marriage.
Get help if you think you may be a victim
The Live Fear Free helpline provides help and advice to:
- anyone experiencing forced marriage, domestic abuse or sexual violence
- people who know someone who needs help
- practitioners seeking professional advice.
Get in touch with live fear free advisers free of charge by phone, online chat, text or email.