Information on the number of registered patients and workforce age distribution, as at 30 June 2020.
The main source of data used is the Wales National Workforce Reporting System (WNWRS). This is the second time data has been sourced from this system and been subject to the full validation processes by NHS Shared Services Partnership and NHS Digital. Statistics from this source are in their infancy, therefore this release is classed as Experimental Statistics.
In Wales, as at 30 June 2020, there were 403 active GP practices with:
- 1,943 GP practitioners (includes partners, providers and salaried GPs but excludes registrars, retainers and locums)
- 291 GP registrars (trainees on GP speciality training programme, currently placed in a GP practice)
- 17 GP retainers (a GP practitioner on the GP retainer scheme, only able to practice a maximum of 4 clinical sessions a week)
- 810 GP locums registered to practice in Wales (no data available on the actual number currently working)
- 1,398 registered nurses
- 1,119 direct patient care staff
- 5,120 administrative or other non-clinical practice staff
Datasets and interactive tools
General practice workforce, as at 30 June 2020 (experimental statistics): tables , file type: ODS, file size: 56 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 5101
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.