Information on all staff employed in general practices in Wales, including GPs, and nurses at 29 February 2020.
The main source of data is the Wales National Workforce Reporting System (WNWRS) which has replaced the General Medical Services census as the main source for GP workforce statistics. This is the first time data has been sourced from this system and therefore this report is classed as Experimental Statistics.
In Wales, as at 29 February 2020, there were 404 active GP practices with:
- 1,972 GP practitioners (includes partners, providers and salaried GPs but excludes registrars, retainers and locums)
- 296 GP registrars (trainees on GP speciality training programme, currently placed in a GP practice)
- 15 GP retainers (a GP practitioner on the GP retainer scheme, only able to practice a maximum of 4 clinical sessions a week)
- 769 GP locums registered to practice in Wales (no data available on the actual number currently working)
- 1,413 registered nurses
- 1,123 direct patient care staff
- 5,126 administrative or other non-clinical practice staff
General practice workforce, as at 29 February 2020 (experimental statistics) , file type: PDF, file size: 654 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
General practice workforce, as at 29 February 2020 (experimental statistics): tables , file type: ODS, file size: 54 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 1646
Telephone: 0300 025 8099