Welsh Government, UK government, Scottish Government, and the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs in Northern Ireland are jointly seeking views on carbon pricing following Brexit.
The EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) is a vital part of the EU's policy to combat climate change and is a key tool for reducing greenhouse gas emissions cost-effectively.
We are consulting on a UK emissions trading scheme (UK ETS) linked to the EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS).
A linked scheme allows:
- access to a larger market
- increased abatement opportunities
- more cost-effective emissions reductions for UK businesses
The consultation also outlines fall-back options, including:
- the UK introducing its own UK ETS
- the introduction of a tax on carbon
- participating in phase 4 of the EU ETS
This consultation is being held on GOV.UK