This consultation ended 12 July 2019.
The responses to this consultation are currently being reviewed. Details of the outcome will be published here in due course.
Welsh Government, UK government, Scottish Government, and the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs in Northern Ireland are jointly seeking views on carbon pricing following Brexit.
The EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) is a vital part of the EU's policy to combat climate change and is a key tool for reducing greenhouse gas emissions cost-effectively.
We are consulting on a UK emissions trading scheme (UK ETS) linked to the EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS).
A linked scheme allows:
- access to a larger market
- increased abatement opportunities
- more cost-effective emissions reductions for UK businesses
The consultation also outlines fall-back options, including:
- the UK introducing its own UK ETS
- the introduction of a tax on carbon
- participating in phase 4 of the EU ETS
As part of a joint programme of events, we are now inviting stakeholders to attend one of the events we have scheduled:
- London, 22 May
- Northern Ireland, 30 May
- North Wales (Llandudno Junction), 03 June: register here
- South Wales (Swansea), 05 June: register here
- Scotland, 12 June
To secure your place, please sign up before 28 May 2019.
This consultation is being held on GOV.UK