Breakdown of income and expenditure for the higher education sector for September 2018 to August 2019.
This is the latest release in the series: Staff and finance of higher education institutions
- Total income of the Welsh higher education sector was reported as £1.64bn, 4% (£70m) more than 2017/18.
- Total expenditure of the sector was £1.85bn, 18% (£278m) more than in 2017/18.
- Income through tuition fees continued to rise. Tuition fee and education contracts now make up 54% of income (£892m).
- There was an increase in Funding Council grants after an eight year fall. Income from Funding Grants increased by 16% (£25.6m).
- Research grants made up 16% of the income of Welsh universities, an increase of 3 percentage points compared to 2017/18.
- There has been a large increase in the amount that Welsh universities have spent on staff, £1.12bn in 2018/19 compared to £879m in 2017/18. This represented over half (61%) of all costs.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 062 2587
Telephone: 0300 025 8099