An annual report collated from examination bodies on the results of external examinations taken by pupils aged 15 or 17, which includes GCSE and A Levels by subject.
This provides the final results of external examinations taken by pupils in Year 11 ('Key Stage 4') or pupils aged 17 at the start of the academic year in schools in Wales in 2017/18. The latest release updates the provisional statistics previously released on 4 October 2018.
Following recommendations from independent reviews and policy changes announced by Welsh Government, several key changes have been implemented to the Key Stage 4 (KS4) performance measures data in recent years which impacts on comparisons over time. Such comparisons should be made with caution. Please see the release and accompanying notes for more information.
Pupils in Year 11
- 55.1% of pupils in Year 11 achieved the Level 2 inclusive threshold (Level 2 including a grade A*-C in English or Welsh first language and Mathematics), up from 54.6% last year
- The average Capped 9 score was 349.5.
- 29.5% of pupils eligible for FSM achieved the Level 2 inclusive threshold.
- 63.6% of pupils achieved A*-C in Mathematics/Mathematics-Numeracy (best of).
- 64.9% of pupils achieved A*-C in either English or Welsh first language.
- 18.0% of pupils achieved 5 or more A*-A grades.
Pupils aged 17
- 97.6% of those entering a volume equivalent to 2 A levels achieved the Level 3 threshold.
- The average wider points score was 740.1.
- 57.9% of those entering a volume equivalent to 2 A levels achieved 3 or more grades A*-C.
Datasets and interactive tools
Key Stage 4 benchmarking, September 2017 to August 2018 - core subjects: tables
file type: ODS, file size: 18 KB
Tel: 0300 025 5060
Tel: 0300 025 8099