Ynni’r Fro is the Welsh Government programme of support to community scale renewable energy schemes.
This is the latest release
The evaluation comprised four components
- A desk review of the recent history and policy context to Ynni’r Fro.
- An online survey of community groups that have applied to Ynni’r Fro for support.
- Follow-up interviews with selected community groups who responded to the survey.
- Interviews with stakeholders to discuss the design and delivery of the programme.
- The national coverage, broad remit and quality of the advice service.
- The financial support available through Ynni’r Fro.
- The fact that Ynni’r Fro is a longer term support programme than other initiatives in this area.
The evaluation identified a number of challenges to developing a community renewable energy project; looked at the ways in which the Ynni’r Fro programme was already addressing these, and made recommendations on how this could be developed in future.
The main challenges identified were:
- the shortage of capacity, skills and experience within community groups
- difficulties in obtaining planning permission and consents
- challenges in finding funding for preparatory work and capital for scheme development.
Ynni'r Fro mid-term evaluation , file type: PDF, file size: 2 MB
Ynni'r Fro mid-term evaluation: summary , file type: PDF, file size: 336 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 1681
Telephone: 0300 025 8099