Information on to type of fire, casualties, damage and source for April 2017 to March 2018.
- The Welsh Fire and Rescue Services attended a total of 6,372 deliberate fires in 2017-18. This is an increase of 7% compared with the previous year, but is only around a quarter of the number in 2001-02. Of these fires, 19% were primary fires.
- In 2017-18, two thirds of deliberate fires were in South Wales, almost a quarter in Mid and West Wales, and a tenth were in North Wales.
- In 2017-18, there were 677 primary fires started deliberately in vehicles, a decrease of 19% compared with the previous year.
- In 2017-18, there were 8 deliberate fires in schools, equating to almost a third of all fires in schools.
Source and hazardous materials
- Over the last 5 years, furniture and furnishings were the materials first ignited in 18% of deliberate primary fires.
- Of the dangerous substances in deliberate primary fires in total in 2013-14 to 2017-18, 76% were flammable liquids.
- In 2017-18, there were 47 non-fatal casualties in deliberate fires. There were no fatalities.
Deliberate fires, April 2017 to March 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 3 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
Deliberate fires, April 2017 to March 2018: tables , file type: ODS, file size: 107 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 6699
Telephone: 0300 025 8099