Number of additional affordable housing units delivered for April 2019 to March 2020.
Approach to publishing provisional and final statistics for 2019-20
This headline includes provisional statistics for 2019-20 at the Wales level only. These figures are subject to change when we publish final 2019-20 statistics on 11 March 2021.
Final statistics for 2019-20 will include the detailed statistical release with further breakdowns of the data, and detailed data on StatsWales.
The collection and publication of these statistics has been delayed due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. We have therefore taken the decision to publish provisional figures for a small subset of the data as soon as we are able to as there is a clear user need.
- 2,940 additional affordable housing units were delivered across Wales(a). This is an increase on the 2,592 units delivered in the previous year and the 2019-20 figure is the highest annual total to date.
- Registered Social Landlords delivered over 80% of all additional affordable housing provision (2,437 units).
- An additional 60 housing units were delivered under the Rent to Own - Wales(b) scheme introduced in February 2018.
(a) The figures cover all additional affordable housing units, whether through new build, purchases, acquisition, leasing or conversion of existing dwellings. They do not take account of any loss of affordable housing stock through demolitions or sales during the year.
(b) Rent to Own - Wales units do not conform to the Technical advice note (TAN) 2 definition of affordable housing and as such have not been included in the total additional affordable housing figure shown in this release. The figures do however contribute to the affordable homes target (see the section below).
Measuring progress on the Welsh Government commitment to deliver an extra 20,000 affordable homes during 2016-21
The Welsh Government’s current work programme ‘Taking Wales Forward 2016 -2021’ includes a commitment to deliver an extra 20,000 affordable homes during 2016-21. This commitment includes supporting the construction of more than 6,000 homes through the Help to Buy scheme.
Totals from three statistical series contribute to measuring this target:
- Affordable housing, as defined in Technical advice note (TAN) 2: from 2016-17 to 2019-20 (provisional), 10,394 additional affordable housing units were delivered across Wales.
- ‘Rent to Own - Wales’ scheme: from February 2018 to March 2020, 105 additional units were delivered under this scheme.
- ‘Help to Buy - Wales’ scheme: from April 2016 to December 2020, 8,503 purchases have been made under this scheme.
Affordable housing (TAN 2) units planned for 2020-21
It has been reported, by local authorities and Registered Social Landlords, that a further 4,000 affordable housing units are planned for delivery during 2020-21.
Comparing statistics on planned and delivered units in previous years, along with intelligence on delivery of affordable housing units in the first half of 2020-21, indicates how reliable the statistics on units planned in 2020-21 are likely to be.
In recent years, figures on units planned have overestimated what is actually delivered in a year, therefore should be treated with caution. Further information is provided in the ‘Accuracy’ section of the quality report for the Affordable Housing Statistical release.
Considering the three statistical series described above, in addition to affordable housing (TAN 2) units planned in 2020-21, indicates that in excess of 20,000 affordable homes are expected to be delivered by March 2021.
Telephone: 0300 061 5675
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.