Data on the number of patients admitted to mental health facilities both formally and informally, and patients subject to supervised community treatment for April 2017 to March 2018.
- In 2017-18, there were 8,588 admissions (excluding place of safety detentions) to mental health facilities in Wales, a decrease of 135 (2%) from 2016-17.
- 97% of admissions (excluding place of safety detentions) in 2017-18 were to NHS facilities in Wales, with the remainder admitted to independent hospitals.
Formal admissions under the Mental Health Act 1983 and other legislation
1,891 admissions in 2017-18 were under the Mental Health Act 1983 (excluding place of safety detentions) and other legislation, an increase of 115 (6%) from 2016-17.
- 94% (1,775 of 1,891) of formal admissions (excluding place of safety detentions) were detained without the involvement of criminal courts (Part II). With 78% (1,378 out of 1,775) of these being admitted for assessment, with or without treatment (Section 2 of the Mental Health Act 1983).
- Section 2 showed the largest increase (in terms of numbers) between 2016-17 and 2017-18 rising from 1,246 to 1,378 (132 or 11%).
Supervised community treatment
- In 2017-18, there were 149 patients subject to supervised community treatment (SCT), including 15 for whom an independent hospital was responsible. Of this total, 96 were male and 53 were female.
- Of those patients subject to SCT, there were 61 recalls to hospital, 57 revocations and 72 discharges in 2017-18.
Following the changes to the Mental Health Act relating to Section 135 and 136 in December 2017, the Welsh Government has decided it is appropriate to cease collecting data on the ‘Use of Sections 135 and 136 of the Mental Health Act 1983’ on an annual basis via the KP90 form. The information was previously published annually at an all Wales level only in the Admission of patients to mental health facilities Statistical First release in Tables 4a and 4b. The last of the releases showing this data was published on the 31 January 2018, showing the 2016-17 data.
The data will be published in the future via the quarterly Section 135 and 136 data that health boards provide and the first publication will be on the 5 December 2019.
Admission of patients to mental health facilities, April 2017 to March 2018
file type: PDF, file size: 882 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 5080
Tel: 0300 025 8099